How to Maintain Your System and Avoid Air Conditioning Repairs
Early spring is the perfect time to maintain an air conditioner. By now, it should be clogged with all sorts of junk from the excessive use during the cold season. There are several procedures you should perform if you want your AC unit to run as smoothly as before. One of those procedures is cleaning the coils from obstructions. Here is what you need to do if you want to avoid serious air conditioning repairs:
- You should start by disconnecting the power to the air conditioner. Some units have a shutoff box for easier access. If your model does not have one, you may need to look for other switches. If you can’t find any, simply pull the plug, and disconnect it from the power grid.
- If the exterior unit of your air conditioning system is covered by debris, you’re going to need to clean it. Trim away any plants that may be growing around your AC, and don’t let anything get inside the unit. Make sure all sorts of foliage are far enough from the unit at all times. Trees and branches can damage the machine too, so make sure any potentially dangerous branches are properly trimmed.
- Remove the protective outer case of the air conditioner. You may need to remove the top as well. This depends on the model of air conditioner.
- When you reach the coils and the fan, you will need to clean and maintain it. Use a rag, a broom, a brush, or a vacuum cleaner with a special extension to clean the dirt off the coils, the motor, and the shaft. If the motor needs to be lubricated, then make sure you apply the necessary amount of oil to each of its lubrication ports. This should help prevent future problems and save you a couple of air conditioning repairs.
- Once you’re done with the large scale cleaning, it’s time to take care of the details. You need to spray-clean all dirt and grime from the coils. Use a solution of warm water and biodegradable cleaning agent to dissolve the dirt.
If that sounds like too much work for you, then we can lend you a hand. Marv Aire Services performs quality air conditioning repairs for the community in Atlanta GA, so call us at (404) 766-0231!